Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Right. Does anyone still read this?

6 months. You guys were doing pretty good at first, but now I just feel like I'm writing to outer space! Of course writing all this is completely therapeutic for me, so I guess it doesn't matter if I'm writing it all for myself. But when it really comes down to it, I just need a little comment. Just an insy-winsy, tiny little "hi" to give me instant gratification. I mean, I have internet access, so there really is no excuse not to hear from you guys. And if you aren't tech-savy, take a lesson from Nana, and write me a letter! I think about you guys every day.


This week I'm planning on taking a trip to our safety consolidation point in Senegal. The point of the trip is to see where the people of my division (Western Divsion) would go in the case of an evacuation in Gambia. I was identified as the alternate warden so me and my site mate, who is is the warden of WD are making a 2 day trip out of it. I'll let you know how Senegal is.


Late next week those of us down country are heading up country for some birthday celebrating. I'm really looking forward to the long weekend we will make out of it, staying with friends from my health group along the way, and possibly the chance to see Kaddy, Momadu, Ebrima and Adama again.


Work is good. We had a board meeting last Sunday for Allatentu and decided to hold off on the Jaliba fundraising concert until after the 40 day charity for Fatou. I think it's now scheduled for Oct. 26th. We are getting funding from UNAIDS for the proposal I helped write for the rest of the calendar year. I'm excited about that news, but not really sure how to handle so much money. We don't have an accountant right now and I could see all this allocation of funds lying heavily on me, the white woman. Yikes. I'm not sure if I'm ready to help confirm the stereotype for the country where toubabs are the source of wealth, pens and of course, minties.


It's been raining more frequently, which has brought that smell in the air, which triggers memories of the States. I'm enjoying the way things look at the start of the rainy season, the sounds the rains make on the roofs and the care-free attitudes of my neighborhood children on the streets after the sands flood. I've never lived anywhere that only has two seasons, and I didn't realize how day after day of hot, hot sun- sunny days ALL THE TIME could actually have a negative impact on me. So, so far, I'm enjoying the 'other' season of Gambia. I went on a run for the first time in a week or so because my stomach has still been bothering me some and an afternoon storm had just finished and was still sprinkling like it does after a heavy storm and it was really nice.


Now it's time to pick on some of you...
Liddy B: Have you found a new apartment yet?

Marilina: How was the end of your semester and are you ready for year 2?

Erica: Send me a pic of Apache!


Mary: Will you get to meet up with Jim this summer?


Lisa: How's the Renegade Picture Show coming along? (Tell me something new that Summit has done this week)

Kathleen: I need the book after Ender's Game, STAT!


Sarah: What was the last thing you did to train for the triathlon?


Chris: What do you look like these days? Can you send me your mom's email address again?


Joe and Andrea: Don't you have an anniversary coming up/ How was your anniversary?

Mom and Dad: Really not sure what I would do with out you guys right now. So glad you too are healthy. Thanks for being who you are, which has helped me become who I am.

Sherwin: Did you ever get the present I bought for you over 6 months ago? It was pretty much one of those ends of the earth and back trip to get it in Kathleen's hands, so I really hope it is in your hands now.

Todd: Megan is trying to get a hold of you to give you money for the tree TV ad.

Jeanne and Jeff: Congrats again on the wedding!

Roscoe: Where's your ball?

Susie: Stop trying to eat chippies. They're way smaller than you and can't defend themselves.

Victoria's Pasta Shop: Please save a heaping portion of the make your own pasta: whole wheat linguine with spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives for a dedicated customer.

Dr. Phil: Did you send my "Self-Esteem Boost" program to the insurance companies yet?

I know I'm missing a lot of people, but this should get the ball rolling, eh? Don't worry, your time will come.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sis, I read all of these... so its not just for you!

I have found a few places, I may settle for one.. being that the landlord keeps going down in price, I just dont know the room mates very well... but he also said It can be month to month lease, therefore... if anything is too bad, I can just move out yah know? We will see but I have to make a decision this week.
I love you

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!
Miss you like crazy. I am getting ready to send your shoes. I hope they arrive by your bday. Summit is growing up fast! He's semi-crawling and loves to JUMP in his jumper or just when you hold him in your lap! He's hilarious. I will post some photos this weekend on his website.
Love ya!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey,

You bet I'm reading all your adventures and loving your pictures. I'm printing them for Dad to read too as he likes to have it on paper. :)
I hope your trip to Senegal goes well and safely. Also hope your trip upcountry is fun and that you get to see Kaddy and the kids. Packages will be on the way soon. Congrats on getting funding for the support group. You are a good money manager so if it falls on you to distribute, I'm sure you will make good decisions.
We love you and miss you and think of you constantly.
Mom & Dad

Todd said...

Well shoot, I'm supposed to be an ICT volunteer but had to get your message in person rather than on the Internet. Booo technology.

Anonymous said...

Triathlon, ohhh, yeah, I am supposed to be training for a triathlon...

I just spent 10 days eating lots of cheese and bread and drinking a good deal of really good beer. Yep, Zurich was a good time--would have been better if it hadn't been for that pesky work thing.

Ugh, I guess I better go swim today.

I check your blog at least every other day, if not every so keep writing.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Aloha, Courtney!
Well, your "not-so-tech-savy Aunt" has really been enjoying your blogs...so I thought I better at least try to send you a comment to let you know we are absolutely enjoying living vicariously via your adventures in the gambia! You are such an inspiration to us all--thank you for caring for so many folks there and sharing your amazing light! Please don't be discouraged:)

We had a wonderful ceremony in aloha land and wish you could have joined us...but certainly understand that a quick visit to the "islands" was just not in the picture! We're putting together a little "package" for you, so hopefully you'll get it by your big b-day:)
BTW, we did get your sweet card of loving support...so THANK YOU...a real thank you note is already in the mail for you, too!
Keep up the amazing work you are doing and rest assured,you are loved and missed dearly by your family and friends!
Love, Aunt Kay