Friday, June 15, 2007

Culture Dictionary

So, I realized recently that there are quite a few things about the Gambian culutre that I want to share but may have neglected. This is a very concise "dictionary" of my opinion of things, to help explain some stuff I see on pretty much a daily basis. (Not in alphabetical order, though- some dictionary, huh?, and some of this I borrowed from fellow PCVs) Also, obviously I haven't gone to Basse, yet (see, TIME).

1. Pounding: What the women start doing with rice and millet and any other food we eat, in a large morter with a larger pestal, even before the roosters start crowing to prepare their food days in advance.

2. Gele-Gele: Bush taxi that could take hours to catch, which is ALWAYS full of people, and breaks down as often as Micheal Jackson does in his "Thriller" video.

3. Toubab: The word that I've learned to ignore, but use when describing my fellow PCV friends to others (if you call me this back in the States, I will ignore you, too.)

4. Small Boy: This is one of my favoirtes (to witness, not participate in). This is where you get someone younger than you to do your work for you. As one of the PCVs explained, this is used as a verb, such as "I wonder what Fatou is doing right now? Geez, it's hot out and I don't want to walk all the way to her compound, so I think I'll small boy her to see what she's doing."

5. Attaya: The name of the highly cafinated tea that is added their cup of sugar. You can see young boys brewing their sugar additive at all hours of the day, even in the 100 degree heat. Which brings me to the next word...

6. Hot: And I thought I knew what it was, growing up in Texas and all. This is a constant topic of conversation. I'm closer to the coast, so I really can't complain all that much, but let's just say that people don't go inside their houses to sleep until around 4am. Pass me the steaming, hot attaya, please!

7. Time: In training, we learned that is called "polychronic" here. In training village, we coined the phrase "they took too much polychronic this morning". This basically means when someone tells you to be at the car park at 8am, they won't be there until 10. It means when my sister thinks she's leaving with her kids to travel across the country, on someone else's schedule, she really has absolutely no idea when that could be. It means practicing patience and wondering if I'll bring the polychronic back with me to the States (I'm guessing not, since I probably won't pass customs with it in tow).

8. Trip Gift aka Sila Fando: Something given to the people you are going to visit, or in my case, live with for the next two years. It ususally consists of Kola nuts, attaya and sugar (caffine, caffine, and caffine affects).

9. Namesake aka Toma: The person of whom you are named after. I think I've only heard about 30 names. When I hear one I've never heard before, I'm a little surprised. When I introduce myself to another Mariama, it's like Christmas and if I introduce myself to another Mariama Camera, it's like Christmas and New Years, only if they were even more close on the calander. The other day I asked Sr. how many Tomas she thinks she has running around Gambia. People are so grateful to her, that I've seen at least 3 "Christine's" duing the short time I've been here.

10. Kulliyo: The naming ceremony where the baby is named after someone. People really don't celebrate their birthdays and if you ask when they were born, many will say things like "The year that the first Peace Corps came to stay with us". With that said, the Kulliyo is almost like all the person's birthday parties for their entire life rolled into one, huge, naming ceremony. Typically, some kind of live stock is killed, sheep being the most prized, and they can last up to a week with endless food, dancing and music. The ceremony usually won't happen for a while, as infant mortality is a concern. Also, can you imagine how much it would cost to have all your birthday celebrations at once?!

11. Tiya Futo: My new favorite sweet. Basically, it tastes like peanut butter cookie dough. It's made of ground peanuts, ground millet and sugar, pounded together and smashed into little balls. I like it because I can afford it on a daily basis in somewhat satiating quantities, it's sort of healthy (grain and protein) and the woman who sells it to me already knows me so well that one day I forgot my wallet and she gave me D5 worth on "credit". We have a little deal going on, too. I've noticed that if I bring my own zip lock bag, she puts a few extra balls in.

Also, polygomy is practiced. It is not practiced by everyone, but quite a few families consist of the one, male, head of household and multiple wives, and thus multiple children. If a man dies, his brothers may also chose to marry his wives and inherit his children.

Now, a few stories:

I am now the proud owner of a second hand, stained glass and wood, cat lamp, purchased by using Mandinka! I spotted it the first time when we were on our way to a home vist, passing by car, through the edge of the market. It sat on a stand with a bunch of appliances and I felt as if I were passing a garage sale back in the States every time. So, finally, one Friday afternoon around prayer time, I set out on foot to see if it was still there and even better, to see if it actually worked. There was also the "Toubab price" factor, so I had researched how much a typical lamp cost at one of the other appliance stands and found that they went for about D50. When I got there, I asked who was selling the cat lamp. A woman came around the corner and announced she was selling it. After a sucessful greeting session, she asked my name and we relized we were Tomas (her name was Janke Camera- a nickname of Mariama). Suddenly, it was like Christmas and New Years, and I knew at that instant, the cat lamp would be mine at a fair price! After chatting about where I was staying what I was doing here, I asked the price. When she told me D140, I told her that the price was too high, I'd seen lamps for much less and that, come on, now, we were Toma's afterall! After bargaining a little, we agreed on D60, then checked to make sure it actually worked. The moment I saw 4 cats, shining yellow, green, blue and red, I began to smile a smile that would stay with me all the way back to Camera Kunda.

Okay, now I want you to think of the last time you stepped fresh out of your steaming hot, running water, shower. Think of the lush, clean and newly washed-detergent smelling, thick towl that you wrapped your sopping wet body with and how it worked so well to soak up all that water. Yeah, so I brought one of those towls with me, thinking that at the very least, I would have that luxery of a fresh, thick towl to dry off with after taking my evening bucket bath. I even went so far as to ask my mom to buy me a new one before I left. I remember picking it out at Target, running my hands down the towl isle, feeling for the softest one and finally settling on one in a dark color (so the dirt wouldn't show as much). I later learned why those towls feel so good when drying off with them. Unfortunately I never got to use it the way it was inteneded. I had some people spend the night in training and the towl was used several times as a blanket and pillow. After those uses, I decided it was time to wash it. After I washed it (by hand, like everything else is washed), I immediately gave it to my host family. It was that moment of great stuggle while washing my plush, cotton, water soaking towl-the towl that I thought would be my friend for the next 2 years- that I realized I was going to lose. I've never felt the weight of so much water on one material article, as I did when I submurged my towl in the suds. I was simply not meant to wash, much less, own, a plush towl in Gambia. Thankfully, a few friends gave me the quick-dry towels before I left. They are truly amazing inventions and truly amazing friends. Now if I can only come to enjoy washing those double-bed sheets I bought...

No comments: