Saturday, January 20, 2007

Thanks for the love

It's so nice to feel so supported during a time like this. But I must be honest because in a way, it makes it even harder to know I'm leaving such a great support system. On the other hand, it will make a world of a difference to know people are thinking of me.

So, I had an amazing opportunity to speak with someone who just got back from the Peace Corps, Gambia. I had the opportunity to have lunch with her gracious mother as well. Speaking with both of them definitely helped ease some anxiety. (Mom, you'll be happy to know that she received every package (and all of its contents) that her mom sent to her. Just don't forget to send them air mail).

I learned that I will basically be living in tank tops, long skirts and sandals. I learned that it is best to establish a personal routine and privacy policy early on with your host family and the village, so that it is simply a norm from the time you arrive. I also took from the conversation that perhaps one reason volunteers end their terms early is because they go in to the program with different expectations. What I mean is that one huge purpose of the Peace Corps is cultural exchange. It's important to understand that even the smallest contribution is helpful, but if you expect to "change the world," you're going to be disappointed. It is very possible that I will have more free time then I know what to do with during the first year of service. I also found out that recreational running is acceptable, but modesty is appreciated. I also got a better idea of what it might be like to live with out electricity and running water. Candles are available even in the most remote village, and the water well will probably only be a minute's walk. But then again, I may very well be in a village with both. I have a better idea of what to pack now, as well. It doesn't sound like I will need to bring 2 years worth of bar soap, like I was envisioning before. Toiletries like shampoo and toothpaste are available and can also be shipped to me (as well as those things I can't live without, like Burt's Bee's chap stick, Extra Polar Ice gum, and of course, CANDY!) Since I learned that I may have some extra time on my hands, I might bring some paints. But this also means that I will have time to learn about my village's customs and traditions. I am hoping to pick up a musical instrument or make pottery, or another craft used by the community.

I've joked to a few of you about adopting a baby once I'm over there, but the friend I've gained actually adopted a village puppy while she was over there (and even brought it back to the States!). That is one of the best pieces of information that I've heard! It is totally something I would do and might even make the transition a little easier.

Also, I wanted to say thanks for the great laughs, love and hugs from the party. It was really nice to see a lot of familiar faces.

Just one week left!

No comments: