Wednesday, April 4, 2007

I don't even know where to start!

So, first of all, thanks to those who have sent letters this way. They totally lift my spirits. Please keep them coming! I've officially moved to my perminent site in an urban town called Brikama. I will be working with an NGO called Hands on Care that works with people living with HIV/AIDS. I will start that work in 2 weeks, after officially swearing in. I'll try to get as much info in as possible in the 30 min I have remaining at this internet cafe.

1. My English talking and spelling is getting worse-disregard mispelled words
2. I brought 5 tubes of chapstick and haven't found any here yet, keep them coming if you want to send any in the mail.
3. Chris Emme's mom- Chris has gotten tons of letters and packages, but I think you've heard from him by now.
4. My new home in Brikama is at least 2 times as big as my home in Norman, has electricity and running water. My new host mom's name is Tida Kanajii and her husband's name is Lamin Camera (he is in France right now)
5. Just when I had gotten used to fetching water from a pump and carrying it on my head and using a pit latrine and taking bucket baths every night in my training village, Kaif, PC switched everything up on me and is tricking me in to thinking I'm somewhere in between The States and Africa.
6. I am a 10 minute walk to a market to get fresh veggies and fruits.
7. Training has been exhuasting and I'm excited to start working with the NGO
8. My training group put on several presentations consiting of Malaria skits in Mandinka, dipping bednets, etc., a model school presentation on HIV/ AIDS, with a song on how HIV is spread and not spread to the tune of "Shake Your Booty", a final presentation on Personal Hygiene, how to put together a needs assessment and how to put the info into a skit to our Peer Health Group in the Kaif school.
9. I really wanted to start some sort of garden, but I don't have a back yard. Maybe I will find some land somewhere close to my house.
10. I miss you all back home!
11. I'll try to post pics soon, I have a lot
12. Mango season is about to be here. I've discovered the cashew fruit and it is amazing. You can eat the fruit and the nut, but not the shell from the nut.
13. Send emails because I can check them.
14. My Gambian name is Mariama Camera
15. The sound of a donkey braying is almost as funny as watching it bray.
16. I hear the Mosque call to prayer 5 times a day.

I have to go for now, but more to come later. I love you guys and miss you. But I want to hear from you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! You are close to internet service! We are so glad you will be in a house with running water and electricity...that's great! Can't wait to see some pictures. Congrats on being close to swearing in. Good luck in your new job.
We love you,
M & D

Anonymous said...

Swanky accomodations! Also, I really love donkeys, I've always secretly had a dream that one day I would have a donkey farm. Good to know about the emails... much faster than the letters.

Anonymous said...

That was Kathleen, by the way. I was too lazy to sign in.