Thursday, April 26, 2007

So are the days...

I have a slightly better understanding of how I will fill my time during the next few weeks. I met with the HOC program coordinator and we decided it would benefit me to spend the next 6 weeks on a sort of rotation. In addition to working with Allatentu, they also want me to work with the Home Based Care (HBC) program. HBC works with chronically ill patients by attending to them at their residence. One doesn't have to be HIV postitive to enroll in the HBC program. Illnesses such as cancer and TB are also seen so not as to disclose a person's HIV status. There are two German Nuns who run this program so I will be working closely with them. They have both been working in the Gambia for about 20 years. So these next 2 weeks, I'm exclusively on the Allatentu rotation. I'll be helping them get ready for the cassette launching in Brikama on the 21st. We also made soap yesterday as an income genterating project and I'll spend time getting to know the members of the group. After that, I'll be on the HBC rotation and learn about what exactly goes on there. After that, I'll do a clinic rotation for 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to sit in on some intakes, attend to patients in the ward and help distribute medications and non-perishable foods.

At the same time, my house is slowly coming a long. The mosquito screens are finally installed and I at last have a bathroom door! A bed was delivered to me on the most recent mail run and my cement floors have been painted. This Saturday, I'm throwing a painting party and inviting people from the clinic and Allatentu, as well as near by fellow PCVs (and of course my family). I am finally coming to terms with the fact that I'm going to be living more of a "western" style life in Africa. I guess it's appropriate, as I have more of a "western" style job (I get weekends off). Yet, I am still listening to a goat cry outside this internet cafe right this moment and most of the time I still can't understand what people are saying to eachother. I still feel that everything is hunky dorey one minute and that if one more kid yells toubab at me the next minute that I will completely lose it.

I helped my family cook lunch today. We made these fish balls in an oil, onion and tomato sauce. With rice of course. My 2 year old brother continues to tug at my heart daily. Today he helped his 3 month old brother learn how to sit. The family calls him and ant becuase he is always on the go. Most of the time I'm in bed way before he is. I'm looking forward to watching him celebrate a few birthdays while I'm here.

Sorry about any spelling errors. I have 2 minutes left at the cafe. I miss you guys.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thinking, maybe we should continue the summer book club intercontinentally. We could send you the books ahead of time so you could join in, write in your witty and insightful comments, and then we'll read them aloud. That would be pretty useful, actually, since most likely no one else will have read the books and we'll need something to work with.

What does "toubab" mean? Albino? Hot lady? I'll assume it's the Gambian equivalent of the "heyyyy..." I give out on campus.

Anonymous said...

Glad your painting party went well.
We'd love to see pictures of your place.
Love...M&D