Friday, April 13, 2007

It's official



A trainee, I am no longer. Today, on this haunting day of Friday, the 13th, we were sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteers. The ceremony was at the US Ambassador to The Gambia's house and I now know what I want to be when I grow up (especially if I get to live in a house and overlook a view such as the one I attended today). Several of us dressed in traditional Gambian attire (pictures to be uploaded soon), and a spread of food so decadent was prepared that I had the same feeling as I often do when eating a Thanksgiving dinner. The best part is that we even have leftovers to devour when the mood strikes.

These past few days, I have been making routine trips to the bank, the large market, PC office for administrative purposes, the grocery store and of course, the beach. It is a bit overwhelming to think of and try to purchase home furnishings on a limited budget and from a market where prices are never to be agreed upon at first breath.


It hasn't quite hit me yet that come Sunday, we are free to begin Peace Corps work. For a lot, that means spending lots of time trying to plan and come up with projects from the ground up. This period of service is known as "three month challenge", where you are encouraged to spend every night at your site for the next three months. It is supposed to be a time to gather needs assessment-type information about your village or community, in order to plan projects for the upcoming months. You are encouraged to spend a few hours each day out in the community, introducing yourself to your village and village heads, such as traditional birth attendants, village development committee chairmans, community health nurses, in order to start establishing valuable relationships. I will start showing my face at Hands on Care and Alletentou a few days a week, as well as begin working towards making Camera Kunda my home away from home.


No comments: