Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Miss Toubab Brikama (new pictures are posted)




Suffering from low self-esteem? Questioning your self worth? There's no need for expensive therapy sessions or complex drug cocktails. Simply hop on the next plane to suburban Gambia, change your name to Mariama Camera and take a long afternoon stroll on the South Bank road as school is letting out for the day. Okay, so maybe your insurance won't cover this sort of program yet, but as soon as I get in touch with Dr. Phil, you can bet it will be an option.

So as it goes, the other day I went over to Rachel's to take a look at her bike and just chat a little. I ended up leaving her house to walk back to mine around the same time that I typically go on an early evening run. Since my running route is on the main road towards her direction, I ran into many of the same folks I would if I were running. However, since I was sans the MP3 player and running shoes, it was more appropriate to greet those who greeted me (and who probably always "greet" me or strain to get my attention as I pass them in a hurry). I was somewhat surprised and a little flattered at how many people noticed and commented that "Today you are tired? Today you do not run?" Maybe it had something to do with the very near arrival of the Miss Black USA Pageant, but I couldn't help comparing myself to the contestants, as I walked down the runway that was the South Bank road. All of a sudden, my hand took a mind of it's own and began to elegantly wave, turning from side to side, as some children shouted my familiar, unfamiliar name (along with the occasional "toubab", but they didn't get waves. Instead, they were politely corrected in Mandinka with a Burt's Bees induced smile, that my name was not toubab, but Mariama!) . It was a little piece of Gambia that could have easily gotten under my skin, but actually turned out to be a bit therapeutic in the end.

The first rain came on Sunday, May 20th at 8:30am. I wasn't quite awake, but stirring in my bed and was actually quite startled by the whole incident. I guess that's what happens when you've never heard rain flood from West African skies onto a corrugated tin-roof before. My first instinct was to jump out of bed and immediately check for leaks. Fortunately, there doesn't appear to be any. The rain fell hard for a good 5 minutes, then steadied to a drizzle before completely stopping. The whole thing lasted maybe 9 minutes and happened twice in the morning. It was still enough rain to flood the market and side streets and give me a little preview for what it will be like when the steady rains come in a few weeks. In the end, I was still able to get my bed sheets washed and dried, despite the looming clouds and 100% humidity.

In other activities, I went with some members of ASK to a candlelight march for people affected by HIV, that kicked off the Global Week of Action. It was neat to participate in a familiar activity of a walk, which makes me realize that no matter where you are in the world, there are people who want to raise awareness and are willing and strong enough to organize such events. It has also been decided that 75% of my time will be devoted to ASK and 25% to HBC. I originally had the impression that it might be the other way around, but ASK was complaining that HBC had "stolen" their PCV, so after a few meetings, it is agreed that Tuesdays will be spent with HBC, alternating with the OVC (orphaned and vulnerable children feeding program) or staff meeting. The other days, I will check with ASK first, then report to the clinic if help isn't needed that day. Sr. Christine also said that I could volunteer care for an HBC patient when I felt ready to take one on.

ASK had a board meeting last Sunday. I left the meeting feeling that it was some what productive. As low as the membership seems to be these days, they still want to keep plugging along. They have so many ideas (almost too many for the amount of man power they need to carry through with the ideas), including what to do with this land the Alkalo signed over to them in a near by village, marketing strategies for the stack of cassettes sitting in the office gathering dust, and how to arrange a successful Brikama launching that is now scheduled for July 20th (but was suggested to be moved again because by then the rains will have for sure come).

I also rode my by bike to the beach with a fellow PCV last weekend. It took us about an hour and a half to get there, but there wasn't a soul around and we sat under the shade provided for us by a small tourist resort. I've decided not to attend the Miss Black USA, but to spend funds on a Gele ride to Basse with Kaddy and the kids instead. I still can't tell when she is wanting to head out there, but I'm thinking it will next week some time. I can't really think of anything else new right now, so I'll close. Oh, did I mention that my plumbing is still turned off? The plumber showed up at my house a few days ago, so I'm taking it as a good sign that it might only be another week before the shower knob is fixed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This beach thing sounds pretty nice! Maybe I will come visit...

Anonymous said...

Hey Courtney,
This is Miga from yoga. I love to read and check out the pictures of your blog.
Just wanted to say "HI".