Friday, May 4, 2007

Some comparisons (and more pictures posted)



I think it's about time to do a post with comparisons. I know I haven't been here that long yet, but there are already a few things I'm coming to terms with (not in any particular order and I know there's more, but this is what I've come up with so far).

Things that I have found beautiful:

1. The way the sun sets behind the orchards of mango and palm trees while Muslim men, in their long cloaks, prayer beads in tow, ride past me on their cruisers on their way to the dusk prayer.

2. Listening to Gambians greet each other, almost competition-like, with the same cycle of greetings every single time.

3. The older women's faces, as they pass me on their way home from a long work day at the market; baskets graciously balanced on their heads, perhaps a baby wrapped on their backs. Decades of working their fingers to the bone has made its way to the face.

4. My family. They're patient (no doubt I've interrupted countless important conversations just to declare the act I'm currently doing-"I'm de-boning fish, right?"), kind and including, yet they give me space when I need it. It doesn't hurt that I can steal hugs any time I want from Ebrima, whose outstretched arms appear in front of me daily. (I found out by going to the Maternal and Child Health Clinic today with my sis that he turns 3 next month.)

5. Discovering new edible fruits, like the cashew fruit and tomburango (don't know the English name). And having a better idea in general about where the food that I'm eating comes from, especially the meat.

Things that will probably never stop being frustrating:

1. Being shouted at with any of the following terms: toubab, boss lady, nice lady, champion woman, sunkuto (which means girl), muso (which means woman), and the hissing that everyone does to get your attention. (I've tried to come up with some sort of come back, like calling the children "dindingolu" which means, children- but it doesn't have the same affect and it's really not that satisfying.)

2. I'm still a clean freak. Can't get over it, it seems. However, the dog hair obsession has been replaced by the the endless sand and dust. (At least the hair comes with some sort of loyal company.)

3. Mosquitoes. And it's not even rainy season.

4. The Nalgene-equivalent of oil used to prepare one meal (okay, I know a Nalgene is one liter and I'm exaggerating a bit) and the gazillion bones in that one, tiny, fish. I sure was spoiled from eating Captain What's His Face from the freezer section.

5. Walking through the bustling car park on my way to the clinic. The next person who asks if I'm going to Serra Kunda is going to regret it (maybe you won't get a greeting from me or something)!!!!!!

Something I'm working on:

Learning to be more patient. With the "in shalla" (God willing) attitude and practice of many Gambians, meetings start hours later, appointments are often not kept and the overall pace of business is painfully slow to me. Thankfully, Peace Corps does a pretty good job on giving one a heads up about this during training and I've had about 3 months to adjust. However, every day is a challenge, a balance between reminding myself I'm working with these people on their terms (not for them) and not compromising certain standards that we, as Americans, have been taught to respect throughout the years.

In other news, the two week rotation with Allatentu has come to an end. We've worked on writing letters for sponsorship for the launching later this month, secured land for a garden in a near by town (I think), distributed another round of soap for income generation, and tried to hold a few meetings to get all this stuff discussed-but not enough people showed up to have them. Monday starts a two week rotation with HBC. Sister Christine told me to be there at 8:30, but to bring a book. Saturday I'm going to a program put on by GAMCOTRAP, an organization dedicated to stopping FGC (female genital cutting). I found out about it through a public notice while watching TV (strange) with the fam a few nights ago. Tuesday I'm scheduled to go to band practice for the Allatentu Support Band. I have an idea on how to promote the music in the States and want them to help me write a letter, but it's in a village I've never been to before, so we'll see how adventurous I'm feeling.

Some more pictures are posted, so click on the "personal photographs" link and look at them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read the Kite Runner (which was good but sadly, a little too depressing for me to handle at this moment in my life), and one of their Afghani sayings was "inshallah." They started every sentence with it. It struck me too as a mentality very different than mine, I realized. I'm trying to adopt it more as well.

Anonymous said...

courtney! new updated list please! i'm getting antsy to go shopping.